OTC Hearing aids have the potential for great success or great disappointment . Below is our step-by-step recommendations for a pathway to success with OTC Hearing Aids.
If you do nothing else go to an audiologist for an audiogram. This will confirm if you are a candidate for OTC hearing aids. These devices have strict guidelines that only apply to those with mild-moderate sensorineural hearing losses. If you have a more complex hearing loss or simply a wax build-up you may be wasting your time and money on OTC hearing aids.
Other Benefits of this exam:
1. Some OTC hearing aid's will be programmed with your audiogram results.
2. You will have an established Doctor of Audiology for when you need further healthcare.
3. We can confirm if you have an insurance benefit that is more cost effective to use vs. purchasing OTC hearing aids.
You completed your exam and you qualify for OTCS....what next?
1. Do you want your OTC to run on battery or be rechargeable?
2. Do you want Bluetooth capabilities?
3. How do you adjust your device? Do you need a smart phone?
4. Does the device look comfortable? Will it fit in your ears?
5. Is there a warranty or trial period?
6. Where do you go for help?
Do not fear. As your hearing healthcare experts we are here to help.
1. Call or email our office to schedule an initial consultation. Together we will review your current devices and devise a plan to lead you to success. Below are just some of the ways we can help.
2. Evaluate fit and function.
3. Test your aids in a testbox to confirm they are working appropriately.
4. Program your OTC aids with Real Ear Measurements.